Friday, July 15, 2011

Eulogy, The Notebook, and Fear and the Narrative Theory

I have a lot to talk about today. Things are crazy around here, getting ready for the wedding next week. Jake's going around getting everything spotless and assembling groceries and supplies for welcoming Jake home. Not to mention he's CONSTANTLY on the phone with his wedding planner trying to get everything settled. I've been working almost constantly to make up for losing all of last week to the wedding. But I wanted to get all of this up.

Before I get down to business and what happened last night, I wanted to pay my respects to Robert. I didn't really ever know him, and I wasn't around for the period of time in which he was the hero(though not The Hero) who thought of the Core Theory that everyone thought would save them.
You can say what you want about the Core Theory(and honestly I have a post I'm working on that thoroughly dissects it), but the fact is, when Robert brought it out, it gave everyone hope. Reading the old blogs, there's so much despair and uncertainty. It doesn't seem like anyone had any real hope that anything other than running would work. Fighting was foolish, making a stand suicidal. All you could do was separate and run and hope it was enough.
But then Robert hit the scene, and with him came Jay and Shaun who didn't just run. They learned, they fought, and Robert encouraged everyone to do the same. And now look at us? The Theory is done, but we're all fighting and learning and working together to do something more than just run for our lives. And in a way, we owe it all to the crazy bastard who decided to give the Stalked titles to give them something to be proud of and to fight with.
So, he was batshit insane, but he did great things for us. He will be missed.

Okay, the events of last night. Those of you who follow me on Twitter would've noticed my tweet about seeing Slendershit outside of work. Yeah, that's right, I worked an eight hour shift at the burger joint and he was staring in through the window at me for five of those, off and on. Don't worry, he was gone by the time I left work, and he didn't do anything. It was merely fucking terrifying.

More important things also happened last night. During my lunch break, I pulled out the notebook to try and see if I could get anything from it. I've been working on it a lot lately, trying to figure out what secrets it holds. I have it wrapped in one of those old fabric book covers, so no one sees the operator symbols and gets infected. I just look like I'm reading a book. Today, however, my manager came to chat with me and saw it.
He's a cool guy, we talk often, so I didn't think anything of it till he glanced at the book and recognized the handwriting. It belonged to a friend of his.
Alice Carter, 22, just graduated with an education degree. Had a boyfriend, a job lined up, and a lot of friends before she vanished. First her dog, then her around two weeks later. Her roommates were concerned, and it's only been like a month.
I didn't let him see the notebook, but I got him to give me the contact info for Alice's roommates. I called them this morning, and they agreed to let me come talk to them Sunday. That's good, I need something to do while the boys bill and coo.
I'm hoping that something will come of it.

Tangentially related is my research topic of the day.
Fear. And how it relates to my narrative theory. I had a thought, while trying to avoid looking at tall, dark, and faceless in the window. It goes back to the whole genre-savvy thing.
We say this is like a story, but what if it's the opposite? What if-

Hang on, Cam's awake.

Okay, Elaine's coming with me for some fun. She can finish her work later. After last night, she needs this.
-Cam

4 comments:

  1. Its a shame to have lost Robert.

    But we have to keep moving you know? Keep learning and fighting for him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Mad Ventriloquist had a great respect for Robert. He brought hope, which is rare and beautiful and really good at hiding in weird places like laundry washers and rooftops whenever people play hide and seek. He was pretty crazy, but a lot of good people are crazy. The Mad Ventriloquist has a bit of a fondess for the insane.

    The Mad Ventriloquist is glad to know that Elaine is all right. Twitter confuses him, but he knew enough to know that things weren't great. He is glad nothing too terrible happened.

    The Mad Ventriloquist wishes that Elaine be careful. She reminds him a bit of Minori. She was looking for answers, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. TMV, we're all kind of nuts around here, so you're in good company.

    Thanks for the concern. The fucker seems to have decided that work is an acceptable place to stalk me, he was there yesterday too. I'm just concerned he'll start nabbing kids in the process or some shit.

    I'm flattered that you're comparing me to someone who obviously meant a lot to you. Thank you.

    ~Elaine

    ReplyDelete
  4. -sigh- I've gotta wonder what the fuck you were thinking back then.

    ReplyDelete