Tuesday, April 3, 2012

A Trap

We're still on Angmar's trail. He's surprisingly clever about keeping under the radar-we don't know he's been to a place until afterward, when we find the police reports of break-ins in abandoned houses or warehouses, sometimes stores...  And it's easy to tell when it's them-his habit of painting everything possible in a dizzying array of colors in at least one room... well, it's distinctive.
Em's color blind. Completely color blind. Well, with a kid as bright as her I guess it was inevitable for her to lose something else along the way. So the colors... if you paint the room all green, for example, it all looks the same, to her. Hard to see /anything/. It's just all gray. As she mentioned. Didn't take us long to figure that one out. What's perhaps cruel is the way he used lots of different colors to paint designs to confuse and disorient her.
I'm guessing he still has connections with other proxies, someone had to do all this painting and I doubt it was him.

Elliott and I... we've been watching his movements, tracking them, trying to figure out what his pattern is so that we can do more than just follow him-that won't do us any good as far as helping her. No luck so far. Starting to think he's just moving at random.
We've started checking out the places he kept her, looking for any clues at all.

But apparently that's what he was expecting. The police had already been in and out of this warehouse, we weren't expecting any surprises-if there was a trap, the cops would've already set it off.
That's what we /thought/, anyway
We thought wrong. Well, he was one of Star's.
When we were in the latest place, I opened the door to the closet he'd kept Em in(painted up in hellish patterns of red, floor to ceiling), and was greeted by a very large mallet swinging down from the ceiling and nailing me square in the chest. I went flying back into the wall, presumably smacking my head again as I was out for almost an hour-Elliott was in the process of calling in help when I woke up.

I'm fine now, for the record. My new freaky gifts seem to be taking pretty good care of me. Normally I'd be bothered, but right now I'm just glad to be able to keep going.

5 comments:

  1. Your new found gift to take a lot punishment before you die probably should worry you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Trust me, it does. But right now all I care about is staying in one piece long enough to save Em

      Delete
    2. Beautiful response. Good luck.

      Delete
  2. That's not how color-blindness usually works, from what I've heard. But maybe this isn't the normal genetic color-blindness and is instead a brain tumor or something like that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually, while the most common form of color blindness is dichromacy, also called red-green colorblindness, there is a version called monochromancy, or total color blindness. There is a medical syndrome called Achromatopsia which can be congenital or acquired through brain damage and means a person can only see black, white, and shades of gray.

      And, before you ask, no, I am not a doctor, but I have read a book.

      Delete